Monday 16 July 2007

Portobello Mushroom Burgers

Yum...Sweet Onions! Beginning in May, these fantastic onions from Georgia appear in grocery stores. I believe the usual season is from May to June but just yesterday I found some at Co-op and promptly loaded a bunch of them into my cart. If you haven't tried these onions, you really must, they are sweet, juicy and crunchy and just another great piece of produce to look forward to in the summer. My mom looks for these in her grocery store every summer - as a kid I didn't understand the excitement associated with this yellow, bulbous vegetable, but now I get it. I like using them in dishes that feature raw onions - try them in a favourite salsa or chutney recipe, you don't need to worry about them overpowering your dish. They're also good sliced up raw and piled onto a cheeseburger - yum!

Here's a recipe you could use them in, although they take a little heat in this one:

Portobello Mushroom Burgers
For 2
2 portobello mushrooms
3 tbsp olive oil (I always use cold-pressed extra virgin for everything (because I LOVE it), it's up to you)
1 tbsp diced garlic
3 tbsp red balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

Toppings:
Thinly sliced Vidalia onions
Thinly sliced cheese, whatever you like, I always use something stinky

Marinate the mushrooms in the above ingredients for one hour.
On a hot grill place mushrooms gills down and grill for about 6 minutes. Flip the mushrooms and place some onions and cheese on the gills. Grill for another 6 minutes.

These make great burgers! They're nice and meaty, and very filling. Percy (my boyfriend) who always wants meat, was even happy and full after eating these. Serve on a toasted bun with your favourite condiments. I like mayo, avacado, BBQ sauce, even mustard and ketchup. If you want to be gourmet, you could make lemon aioli, or your own spiced up mayo creation.

To learn more about vidalia onions check out: http://www.vidaliaonion.org/

p.s. I do have some outdoor cooking pictures from camping, I meant to share these with you right after we got back from camping but I'm having a hard time getting those pictures to load up! Bear with me, we should be able to get them up yet!

1 comment:

pat said...

Wow, Now your speaking my language! Those burgers sound awesome!