Wednesday 22 August 2007

Rosy Mango and Coconut Milk Jello


This time it's elegant....

That's right - more jello! But this time it's virgin - that is, no booze! This jello creation is also much more elegant than shooters, making it a cheap and creative way to serve dessert for a dinner party or a romantic meal.



For this jello dish I used Mango jello and substituted the cup of cold water with a cup of coconut milk. Other variations could include sweetened condensed milk or cream. Use other jellos too - I think strawberry with cream would be divine, garnished with a fresh strawberry.



To jazz this up even more I added a couple drops (yes, only drops, it's potent) of rose water - so this jello really had an Eastern flair! Try to think of other additional flavours, I know not everyone has access to rose water (I got mine at Superstore). You could try almond, vanilla, lemon or orange extract, or orange water, the list goes on.

I picked a little mint from my garden to garnish. If I'd had some fresh mango it would have ended up on top too!
















Rosy Mango and Coconut Milk Jello:


  • 1 pkg mango jello

  • 1 cup boiling water

  • 1 cup coconut milk

  • a couple drops of rose water

  • a sprig of mint for garnish

  • And if you have them, clear serving dishes, so your eyes can enjoy the feast as well.

Dissolve jello in one cup of boiling water. Let cool a little, until warm. Add coconut milk and rosewater, stir. Pour into serving dishes and chill until set. And that's it! The mixture of coconut milk and jello separates - but this is part of the allure - the top is mousse like and the bottom is a nice clear jello. Food isn't only about taste, presentation goes a long way.

This is a nice refreshing dessert, not too heavy and just perfect for the last lingering days of summer.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah
Welcome back. Missed your blog, as we were away camping. Just finished watching Scott on CBC TV, he was making an omelet, good thing I was watching as I have been making it wrong all these years. His restaurant was being featured, he did well. Keep us posted on the wines we came upon a winery here in Saskatchewan (yes Saskatchewan) its at Maple Creek and my favourite is the ruhbarb. The Saskatoon is quite good to. I'll try the jello shooters your way and your Moms.
Love Auntie Sheryl