Friday 16 May 2008

Baniza!


This lovely (yet steamy) picture of Baniza is making my mouth water! I wish I was at home cooking! I've mentioned once before on this blog (see Wild Rice Risotto) our Bulgarian friends, Slavy and Yanko. This is one of Slavy's many great dishes that she makes when we go over to their house for dinner. She's brought this one to work as well and it is always met with a warm reception. And for good reason! This phyllo, yogurt and feta concoction is fabulous! I'm so happy that I now have this recipe, I know you will enjoy it too. Slavy doesn't measure for this one, so I hope my measurements are clear and work out for you. You can always email or post any questions.

Baniza
  • 1 pkg phyllo pastry (found in the frozen foods aisle)
  • 4-5 eggs, well beaten
  • 1 egg, beaten, to brush on top
  • 1 1/2-2 cups feta, crumbled
  • 1/2 cup or so of plain yogurt
  • 1 cup oil (Slavy uses Canola, I think I would use Olive - if not butter!! ha!)

Open up your package of phyllo and open it out so all sheets are stacked and flat.

  1. Incorporate the crumbled feta and yogurt into the beaten eggs. Sprinkle a scant 1/4 or so of the egg/feta/yogurt mixture all over the top of the phyllo, followed by a tbsp or 2 of oil. It's ok if not every bit of phyllo is covered, just sprinkle it on and then quickly brush it around with the back of a spoon.
  2. Take the two top pieces of phyllo and roll it up - start from the longest side - to form a log. Coil this is up, and place in the middle of the pan. Slavy has this awesome, large pan (featured above in the picture) that she got in Bulgaria. I plan to use my large skillet that is oven proof since I don't have a pan as large as hers. Alternatively, you could cut this recipe in half and use a pie plate. If you look at the picture you can see how it is coiled up.
  3. Repeat step 2, coiling the next piece around the centre piece, until the pan is full. If you have leftover phyllo you can always freeze it for another use.
  4. Preheat oven to 350° and brush one beaten egg over top of completed baniza to get it golden brown.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes uncovered. Cover with foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes until the bottom of the baniza is golden brown. (If unsure, carefully lift one side with a spatula to check).
  6. Cut into wedges, serve family style (aka: still in the pan!) and enjoy!

Some variations:

  • Use cinnamon, a little sugar, butter and cream cheese or mascarpone for a dessert version.
  • Add berries, bananas, apples or pears (but don't use too many).
  • Keep it savoury but use a different kind of cheese, add herbs or add some kick with a few chopped up chiles.

Thank you Slavy for sharing this wonderful recipe with us!!!

No comments: