Friday 2 May 2008

Stuffed Mushrooms


Mmmmmushroooms! This is one of my favourite recipes. It's quick and easy to put together, can be prepared ahead of time and it incorporates many of my favourite ingredients (herbs and wine!!). Plus, everyone loves them. These took me a few tries to get right so I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Sarah’s Stuffed Mushrooms
Makes 20

· 1 small onion (yellow, white or sweet), diced
· ½ cup bread crumbs
· ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Asiago cheese
· 100g pancetta, chopped (you can often find this at deli counters, if not use bacon)
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
· 1 tbsp lemon juice (½ to 1 lemon)
· ½ tsp pepper
· 20 large button mushrooms
· 3 tbsp white wine (a Viognier or Sauvignon Blanc is nice)
· 1 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chooped
· 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 425º.

Clean mushrooms by wiping with a damp paper towel. Gently break out entire stem. Reserve ¼ of the stems, trim off the woody ends and dice. Place mushroom caps gills up on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Briefly sauté the pancetta and onions, for about 3 minutes. Add garlic, sauté another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients, including reserved diced mushroom stems.

Once well combined stuff each mushroom so they are heaping.

Bake for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

When it comes time to stuff I generally just use my hands - the ingredients really stick together so you can just mold a little clump of the filling and put it in the mushroom.

I always use Yalumba's Y series Viognier from South Australia for this dish. It's perfect. Enjoy a few stuffed mushrooms with a chilled glass of this great wine and you will have a match made in Heaven. For more information on this wine check it out here, http://www.yalumba.com/vintage.asp?p=154&l=63&v=1965

Enjoy!!







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch for posting this one--I have been wanting to make stuffed mushrooms but I wasn't sure where to start! Hope all is well.

Denise

Joanne said...

Did I tell you that I tried to make these at Christmas when I was super sick and they were terrible? First off I couldn't smell due to the cold and so all the flavours were off. But, I also used prosciutto which turns out to be far too salty.
So thank you for posting this! Finally we don't need to burn off our taste buds anymore with my version!