Wednesday 15 August 2007

Jello Shooters

The Joys of Jello!

Well, I'm back from vacation and as promised I'm going to share a cabin favourite: jello shooters! These are a family favourite for parties - they really pack a punch! We have these so often that my dad said he can't even remember the last time he's had regular jello! Indeed, he even made a "jello shooter tree" which my parents decorate differently depending on the theme or holiday. He cut out 5 circles of styrofoam, each a little smaller than the first, the largest of which serves as the base, the smallest circle being the top. Then, depending on the occasion, decorate the tree!

However, the creativity doesn't stop there; just think about the myriad of possibilities there are when it comes to jello flavours and booze. Here's how you do it:

Jello Shooters
  • 1 pkg jello
  • 1/2 cup booze
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 1 cup boiling water

As per packet instructions, dissolve the jello crystals in the cup of boiling water. Next, add your booze and cold water. My mom is able to get paper medicine cups from a general supply store. I have not been able to find these (well, I haven't tried that hard!) so I use dixie cups. Next, pour your jello into the cups and chill until set.

Experiment with different flavour combinations, here are a few ideas: vodka & orange, white rum & strawberry, tequila & lime, melon liqueur & mango, malibu rum & pineapple, the list goes on.

If you have the inclination to be fancy, do it! Jazz up your
jello by piping some whipping cream on the top of each
shooter. My favourite idea is to make orange, lime or
lemon jello shooter wedges. Simply slice fruit in half,
spoon out the flesh, and pour in your prepared jello. Chill
until firmly set and cut into wedges - 3 from an orange and
2 if using a lemon or lime.

Try this recipe next time you are hosting a party, your guests will be sure to enjoy!

3 comments:

Noreen said...

Hello Sarah,
The original Shooter recipe calls for a cup of booze instead of a cup of cold water
Mom

Sarah Gustafson said...

Hi Mom - yes I remember your "orginal" recipe - I almost died everytime I ate one!! This is why it is now half a cup of cold water, and half a cup of booze! Unless of course you like choking......

Noreen said...

Hello Sarah,
Calgary has made u soft LOL
Love Mom