Monday 9 November 2009

Warm Brussels Sprouts & Apple Salad


I know it's been awhile since I've posted. School has been so busy that most of my evening are taken up with homework and my cooking hasn't been exemplary. Very sad. But, I will be done in December so we'll see what kind of an excuse I come up with next ;-)

I really like brussels sprouts, or at least when they are sauteed or roasted. If you've never tried them like this, and even if you think you hate them and will never, ever like them, you should try it this way at least once!

Warm Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad
For 2

  • 1 to 1.5 cups of thinly sliced brussels sprouts (just trim the end and slice)
  • 1 granny smith or other snappy apple, cored, halved and thinly sliced
  • Half a medium onion, any kind you prefer but red would be pretty, thinly sliced
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large clove garlic, diced
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme
  • salt and pepper
Squeeze a little lemon on your sliced apples so they don't turn brown.

Heat olive oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add a couple pinches of salt and cook a few minutes more.

Add sliced brussels sprouts and cook another 5 minutes. Add apple, garlic, thyme, pepper and remaining lemon juice and cook another few minutes to incorporate flavours. You want the brussels sprouts to be golden on the edges. For example, the picture above shows a salad that still needs a few more minutes. I took a picture early so I could eat the food before it got cold!

Enjoy!

No comments: