Thursday 21 June 2007

Rice Vermicelli with Beef and Tomatoes

"What is a good first post?" This is what I have been thinking all morning. I have pages of ideas, but none of them seemed fit for this debut! So, what I want to know is, what do you want? What do you love to eat? What do you hate to cook? Any questions, I'll answer them, any suggestions, please share them.

Lately it's been all about tomatoes for me - they are, after all, my favourite food (you might have gleaned a hint of this from my blog picture!) They are so good for you too - they are high in antioxidants, they have been found to ward off certain types of cancer, and can apparently help maintain mental function as we age. Tomatoes taste fabulous when they are in season -- I like them straight up -- no salt and pepper, no balsamic, no salad dressing -- why mess with a good thing? Simple perfection is refreshing, just like a juicy tomato! Although there's nothing wrong with adding a little kick if you're in the mood. Last night we had my version of Bunh (Vietnamese dish with rice vermicelli) with tomatoes, beef and onions, let me share it with you:

Rice Vermicelli with Beef and Tomatoes

For 2 people:

  • 2 portions of beef (I used 2 eye of round steaks, very affordable), slice as thin as you can against the grain (so the meat is tender) -- if your knives are dull get yourself a sharpener, the wand type, it makes life much easier
  • 2 medium sized tomatoes, sliced thinly
  • 1 medium-large onion (I used yellow), cut in half, then sliced thinly
  • 2 tbsp olive oil (you can use canola, I just prefer olive)
  • Rice vermicelli

    Condiments:
  • Hoisin sauce (Available at supermarkets, I know Safeway has it, although you'll find it much cheaper at asian markets)
  • Hot sauce (Huy Fong Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce -- this is the stuff you see at most Vietnamese take out counters, they sell it at Superstore and other asian markets)

    Optional -- to make it pretty (spinkle on top):
  • chopped green onion
  • chopped peanuts
  • Heat olive oil in pan over med-high heat (make sure it's not too high - if you use olive oil you'll know it's too high when it smokes!)
  • Meanwhile, put water on to boil for the vermicelli
  • Add the beef and cook until it is almost done, then add the onions and a good dollop of hoisin.
  • Once the beef is cooked and the onions are tender, remove beef and onions from the pan and set aside
  • Add vermicelli to boiling water - I generally add the noodles, bring the water back up to a low boil, stir up the noodles and then turn the heat off, they just need to soak (or, just follow the directions on the package!). Drain in a colander when done.
  • Turn your pan to down to low
  • Lay the tomatoes in the pan, try not to let them overlap too much
  • After about a minute or less (you just want them to cook slightly) turn them quickly and remove the pan from the heat
  • Put the noodles in big bowls if you have them (like pasta bowls) and arrange the beef and onions, and the tomato on top.
  • Sprinkle the green onion and peanuts on top, if you have them
  • Serve with hoisin and hot sauce and people can add as they like.

    Enjoy!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great idea, sarah! i plan to read often!
-meri

Noreen said...

Hello Sarah,
Great blog.
If any one is like me and can't eat tomatoes, I have a recipe for them
instead of tomatoes i use roasted red peppers. I put them in the blender with olive oil and tsp of sugar and puree them. Sautee peppers, sweet onions, zucchinis and garlic and add red pepper puree, let simmer until veggies are cooked and use in place of tomato sauce

Sarah Gustafson said...

Thanks Mom!! I'll try that one out myself.

Sarah
XO

pat said...

hey sarah ann, holy, i didn't realize that you had such cooking prowess. perhaps we'll be able to see some of that at the lake hahahaha.

Ciara said...

Love it!! You're making me hungry already!

Anonymous said...

Love your page Sarah, will post recipe for tomatoes.
Ma

Anonymous said...

I look forward to trying that recipe!!!

Anonymous said...

Well done! I will have to try the recipe with red peppers.... As tomatoes scare me! But I am impressed, you sound like the queen of your kitchen! I will watch for more!

Anonymous said...

You're making me hungry !!
I definately will stop in Boca Loca for some Queso...

Noreen said...

Hello Martha Stewart,
My favorite Mexician fare is a Margarita--- 1 1/2 oz of Tequila 1 oz of Contreau, Lime juice shaken and served over ice in a salted rimmed glass. Have a few of these and even Taco Bell tastes great.
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,
It is definitely tomato season. Do you ever make "slim jim" pizza? It was made famous by the Border Bar, and everywhere we go, we get the local pizza place tuned in to the taste.
Here's how it goes - thin crust, favorite pizza sauce, canadian bacon & mozzerella and bake it. Then when it comes out of the oven, cover it with raw slices of tomato. Give it the cutting wheel, and a few sprinkles of hot pepper powder.
Yummy & refreshing! with beer, of course.
Faye